The Sacrament of Holy Baptism at St. Edward
Policies and Procedures
- Parents generally have their children baptized in the parish where they themselves are registered and are participating members.
- Baptism, except in emergencies, is not celebrated during Lent.
- Godparents must be fully initiated, practicing Catholics 1 years or older. Only one godparent is required, but there must be a male and female godparent if two are chosen. There can be multiple sponsors but only the primary two godparents can be listed in the church record and on the baptismal certificate.
- Members of other Christian communities may serve as Christian witnesses as long as there is also one eligible Catholic godparent.
- Godparents who are not members of St. Edward parish are asked to provide a Sponsor Certificate or permission letter from their own parish before the baptism is scheduled.
- Parents and godparents must attend a Baptism Preparation class either at St. Edward or another Catholic parish before the baptism. Please call the parish office at least 3 months in advance to arrange for the preparation program required of parents and godparents.
- Godparents who are sponsors for a baptism to take place in another parish must be registered parishioners of St. Edward. There is a fee for the baptism preparation class, if the baptism is to be in another parish.
The Requirements to be a Godparent Include:
- Must be 16 years of age or older;
- Must be an active Catholic in good standing who has received First Communion and Confirmation;
- If married, must be married in the Catholic Church or if divorced and remarried, must provide the necessary annulment documentation;
- One who intends to fulfill the role of godparent by being an example of Christian discipleship to his/her godchild.
Baptisms are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis and the schedule can become full quickly. Unexcused missed baptism events will be assessed the full registration fee in order to reschedule. Previously paid fees are nonrefundable.